When booking a driving lesson with Monarch Driving School the student (or for under 18’s the parent/guardian of the student) agrees to the following terms and conditions. The student/parent/guardian will be asked to sign a declaration agreeing to these terms of business at the beginning of the first driving lesson.
Licence and Legal
1. The student has a valid and clean provisional driving licence, full UK driving licence or valid international or European driving licence which must be presented to the driving instructor at the beginning of the first driving lesson.
2. The student is medically fit to drive.
3. The student complies with the eyesight regulation of reading a number plate from 20.5 meters. Where spectacles or contact lenses are required to do this then they will be worn for the duration of the driving lesson.
4. The student will not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including prescribed medication when attending a driving lesson.
5. The student is aware that they hold joint responsibility for their safety and well-being and the driving instructor cannot be held responsible for unreasonable actions made by the student.
6. The student is aware that UK law requires that the DRIVER of the vehicle is responsible for any penalties that arise whilst they are driving a vehicle – regardless of whether they under instruction.
7. Driving instructor’s will do everything possible to keep the student and public safe and to prevent the student from receiving any penalties however they cannot be held responsible for any action that the student takes that was not part of the instruction and that resulted in compromised safety or a penalty.
Driving Lesson and Course Bookings
1. Monarch Driving School reserves the right to request payment at the time of booking to firmly secure the appointment/s in the instructors diary.
2. The 48 hour cancellation policy is in place regardless of whether the payment has been made prior to the lesson. In such circumstances where payment has already been made and at least 48 hours’ notice has been given then the student may transfer the lesson fee to an alternative lesson appointment or request a refund. Where payment has not been paid in advance then the student will be required to pay for the lesson before they may book their next lesson.
3. All driving lessons must be paid for. We do not offer credit, loans, payment plans or exchange of services or goods in exchange for driving lesson services.
4. All block bookings, courses, driving lessons and gift vouchers must be used within 6 months of the date of the purchase transaction.
5. All reference to "Block Bookings", "Courses" and "Pre-Pay" all require payment up front. Payments may not be negotiated or paid in instalments. A Course is defined as multiple lessons per week, with the minimum amount of lessons being 8 hours.
6. If a student wishes to cease lessons and has a remaining balance of Block Booking/Pre-paid lessons (excluding courses) they are entitled to a pro-rata refund on the remaining hours (excluding when 48 hours cancellation notice was not provided). Pro-rata refunds are calculated on the basis that the hours used were on the full hourly rate and not on the block booking discount rate.
7. A non-refundable deposit of £100 is payable to book a course, the balance must be paid no later than 7 days before the commencement of the course. Late payment will result in cancellation of the course and loss of the £100 deposit. Dates of courses may be amended without the loss of deposit providing that a minimum of 3 weeks’ notice was provided by the student/guardian.
8. Course fees do not include the DVSA driving theory test fee (£23) or the DVSA practical driving test fee (£62). Test fee's may be added to the above advertised course prices plus a £2.50 administration charge per test. One or both tests may be booked - Theory Test £25.50, Practical Test £64.50, or both tests £90.
9. Where a student is unwell or unfit to drive (with less than 48 hours’ notice, or after the commencement of a lesson) the driving instructor reserves the right to terminate the lesson. The full lesson fee is to be paid by the student in such circumstances.
Driving Lesson Etiquette
1. The student will be ready for their driving lesson at the agreed time and location. Any changes to the location or time that result in loss of lesson time will not be reimbursed to the student.
2. Any delays caused by the student will form part of the paid lesson appointment.
3. The student will be suitably dressed for a driving lesson. Comfortable shoes that are secure to the feet are essential. Short skirts, low cut tops or revealing attire are not appropriate. Large coats restrict movement and will need to be removed.
4. For the comfort of the driving instructor and other students who will be using the vehicle we request that all students demonstrate a good level of personal hygiene and come to lessons in clean clothes and with clean hands.
5. Mobile phones must be silenced and placed out of sight on driving lessons.
6. Students are permitted to bring a drink with them on driving lessons.
7. Toilet breaks are permitted, please let your driving instructor know if you require a comfort break. Time for comfort breaks form part of the paid lesson time.
8. Smoking is not permitted on driving lessons unless it forms part of a comfort break. Hands must be washed afterwards.
9. When agreed with their driving instructor the student may bring someone with them to accompany them on a driving lesson. Please contact your instructor prior to the lesson to make such arrangements.
10. Intimidation, threats of violence, rude gesture’s and foul language to other road users and to the driving instructor will not be tolerated. The driving lesson will be terminated and the full fee payable in such circumstances.
11. Sexual contact, flirtation, explicit conversations and innuendo is not appropriate on driving lessons. The driving lesson will be terminated and the full fee payable in such circumstances.
1. Monarch Driving School will only present candidates for driving tests who have demonstrated the required skills to the required standard of the test and are therefore deemed to be safe in accordance with the driving instructors professional opinion.
2. Where candidates book driving tests without liaising with their driving instructor and without prior consent from a Monarch instructor, Monarch Driving School will not be held accountable for any inconveniences or losses, financial or otherwise, that are incurred by the candidate.
3. Monarch Driving School have the right to refuse to take a candidate for driving test at short notice, and at personal loss to the candidate in circumstances where the candidate is not able to safely sit the driving test, irrespective of the circumstances or reason.
4. Monarch Driving School will endeavour to give reasonable notice to candidates who are showing signs of not being ready for their driving test. Driving tests may be changed/cancelled without loss of test fees providing that 3 clear working days have been provided. It is our aim that candidates will not lose test fees however if the candidates standard of driving falls below the required standard for the test within these last 3 working days Monarch Driving School will not be held responsible for this.
5. The driver of the tuition vehicle (the candidate) takes full responsibility for their own safety and that of their driving examiner and all other road users throughout the driving test. Monarch Driving School and our instructors are not accountable for the students actions on driving tests or any damages to the instructor's vehicle.
6. The student is responsible for any injury, damages or financial losses that arise from their actions when driving their instructor's vehicle on a driving test. These costs may include damaged tyres’, insurance excess. These events are rare due to instructor's ensuring that students are safe before taking their test.
1. A driving lesson booking by telephone, text, email, social media or in person all constitute an agreement that the student is requesting the time and expertise of the requested Driving Instructor for that period. By booking a driving lesson the student/parent/guardian agrees to the driving lesson fee and agrees to give a minimum of 48 hours (from the commencement time of the lesson) to change or cancel the driving lesson. Where less than 48 hours’ notice is given the driving school reserve the right to charge for the driving lesson.
2. Where less than 48 hours’ notice is given to change or cancel a driving lesson the driving instructor will endeavour to substitute the lesson appointment with an alternative student – and where this is successful then the driving instructor may waiver the lesson fee.
Please give your driving instructor as much notice as possible so that you can maximise the chance of the appointment being substituted and you not being charged
3. In circumstances of a “No Show” (where the student fails to show up for their lesson) the full lesson fee is applicable and must be paid the same day.
4. If the driving lesson commences late or finishes early, at the request of the student, the full lesson fee applies.
5. Where the driving instructor cancels or terminates the lesson early due to the student not adhering to the Driving Lesson Etiquette the full lesson fee is payable.
6. The cancellation policy applies to all types of cancellations, there are no exceptions.
Monarch Driving School is committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining the security of any personal data received from you. We adhere to the requirements of the data protection legislation in the UK (GDPR). The purpose of this statement is to explain to you what personal data we collect and how we may use it.
1. When you contact us to make an enquiry, we will ask you for some personal details. Your name, address, postcode, phone number(s) and email address(es)
2. We will retain your personal data for a length of time depending on the nature of our relationship with you, as follows:
3. For enquiries regarding Driving Lessons we will hold your personal data for 60 days
4. Once you become a customer of Monarch Driving School by making a purchase, booking a lesson, purchasing a training course we will retain your personal data for as long as you are an active customer plus 6 complete financial years from the date of your last recorded activity, in line with Financial and Accounting regulations.
5. We will only ever share personal data that we collect from you with the following third parties and only for the purpose(s) described:
6. iZettle - invoices, payments and purchases
7. We may share your personal data internally between Monarch Driving School Instructors and Employees in order to provide relevant products and services.
When booking a driving lesson with Monarch Driving School you are agreeing to all of the above terms
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file placed onto your device that enables website features and functionality. For example, cookies enable us to identify your device, secure your access to our site generally, and even help us know if someone attempts to access your account from a different device. Cookies also enable you to easily share content on and help us serve relevant ads to you.
When does Monarch Driving School place cookies?
What types of cookies does Monarch Driving School use?
We use two types: persistent cookies and session cookies. A persistent cookie helps us recognize you as an existing user, so it's easier to return to or interact with our services without signing in again. After you sign in, a persistent cookie stays in your browser and will be read by your browser when you return to one of our sites or a partner site that uses our services (for example, our sharing or job application buttons). Session cookies only last for as long as the session (usually the current visit to a website or a browser session).
What are cookies used for?
Cookies can be used to recognise you when you visit our website or login, remember your preferences, and give you a personalised experience that's in line with your settings. Cookies also make your interactions with our website faster and more secure. Additionally, cookies allow us to bring you advertising both on and off our website, and bring customised features to you that allow sharing via social media.
Categories of Use
If you're signed in, cookies help us show you the right information and personalise your experience.
Preferences, features and services
Cookies can tell us which language you prefer and what your communications preferences are. They can help you fill out forms more easily. They also provide you with features, insights, and customised content in conjunction with our plugins.
Performance, Analytics and Research
How are cookies used for advertising purposes?
Cookies and other ad technology such as beacons, pixels, and tags help us serve relevant ads to you more effectively. They also help us provide aggregated auditing, research, and reporting for advertisers, understand and improve our service, and know when content has been shown to you. Note: Because your web browser may request advertisements and beacons directly from third party ad network servers, these networks can view, edit, or set third party cookies, just as if you had requested a web page from their site. Ads served by our site may also set third party cookies.
Unless you clear these cookies from your browser, we may use this information to:
- provide more relevant, interest-based advertising
- help website and app owners understand how visitors engage with their sites or apps
- detect and defend against fraud and other risks to protect users and partners
- improve our services
We do not provide any personal information that we collect to advertisers unless you have given us permission to do so.
What third-party cookies does Monarch Driving School Use?
Most browsers allow you to control cookies through their settings preferences. However, if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may worsen your overall user experience, since it will no longer be personalized to you. It may also stop you from saving customized settings like login information.
What to do if you don't want cookies to be set or want them to be removed?
Other helpful resources
- European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EU)
- Internet Advertising Bureau (US)
- Internet Advertising Bureau (EU)
Browser manufacturers provide help pages relating to cookie management in their products. Please see below for more information.
For other browsers, please consult the documentation that your browser manufacturer provides.